Re: input-pending-p after make-frame-visible

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: Re: input-pending-p after make-frame-visible
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 13:15:21 -0400

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 12:41 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 11:27:38 -0400
> > Cc: Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>, Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>,
> > Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
> >       emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > Any concerns with installing the attached?
>
> Yes: I don't think we understand what it will do, apart of fixing this
> particular problem for you.

The primary thing that it does is make input-pending-p respect
while-no-input-ignore-events, which is necessary to make
while-no-input fully respect while-no-input-ignore-events because it
uses input-pending-p.

It begs the question, should while-no-input-ignore-events be renamed,
or should input-pending-p at least document that it respects
while-no-input-ignore-events? It was apparently already the intent
because input-pending-p passes READABLE_EVENTS_FILTER_EVENTS to
get_input_pending.

> The original code included conditions
> that depend on use of the toolkit scroll bars (the reasons for which
> we don't understand, AFAICT) and ignored just a small group of events,
> now we will/might ignore much more, and that's in the main source of
> reading events.  Who knows what this will do.

Yeah, that part is the biggest head scratcher to me. I wonder if
Yamamoto Mitsuharu may know why this was added this way in
354344a20a06e2052bc23a4b92ac44af1075cdbe

> I _might_ be okay with installing this on master, conditioned on some
> new variable, so that if some problem reveals itself, it would be easy
> to see if it's due to this change.

Okay, let's see if we get any more clarity first and then I can
introduce a variable. What would you like to call it? And are you
referring to a new ifdef check?

Thanks,

Aaron