Re: Indentation of def*

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Indentation of def*
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:10:01 +0100

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:36 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> > So I'd like to have 'b' please. A compromise.  We could add those
> > debug specs to the def _functions_ like your example. Whoever
> > these functions are and however many there are. Again, it'd be
> > great to have the data. Some data.
> If you want the data, it's there in the Emacs tree.  Look at all
> functions/macros named def* with/without indent specs, examine what they
> are, and count.

Counting is easy, but some days ago, you wrote

> .. > about half of them really wants to
> .. > have (indent defun).  (And most of the macros, but not all.)

What are these exceptions you're  referring to?  How can I know
what they are?

Also I think there's a fair amount of code in the so-called "wild" that
probably relies on this heuristic.  Of course I think you understand
that removing the heuristic breaks some of it.  That's a price you're
probably aware of. Woudln't you consider breaking _less_ of it?

https://github.com/search?l=Emacs+Lisp&q=%22defmacro+def%22&type=Code

If you kept the heuristic for macros, I think you wounldn't break these^.

And many, if not all, of the problems of the bugs would still be
resolved, I think.

João