Re: Indentation of def*

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Indentation of def*
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 09:19:17 +0100

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 8:52 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> > Please keep the heuristic.  It is still useful.
> > If file A uses a deffoober construct defined in file B, and you visit
> > file A with file B not loaded, the heuristic will make the uses of
> > deffoober indent properly.
> Or wrongly -- functions like `default-boundp' are indented wrongly using
> that heuristic.

Right. And your example is a _function_.  Why don't you _at least_ keep
the heuristic for macros? Isn't that a worthy compromise, a "no-worse"
situation? It would fix your default-boundp example and, if Richard's
example deffoober is a macro (I'd say there's a good chance it is,
statistically speaking) then the calls to that macro would also be
indented correctly.

What am I missing?

> The moral is: If you edit Emacs Lisp, you should load the file you're
> editing first, otherwise it'll indent badly.

That was always the moral yes.  But now, AFAIU, you're tightening
up those morals a bit, by requiring that Richard edit his code to add
indent specs to his macro definitions like deffoober. If I'm mistaken
in this particular example, please correct me.

João