Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 13:34:27 +0300

From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:51:55 +0300
Cc: stefan@marxist.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org, rudalics@gmx.at,
  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, larsi@gnus.org, juri@linkov.net

On 16.09.2021 07:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Your commit broke symbol highlighting in the comments.
And `this` doesn't?
Yes, it does.  That's why I originally changed it to `this'.
yes, everyone seems to do what they like in this respect.
One is not like the other.
How's that?

One is working WRT to coding features, the other is broken.

We aren't talking about code.

As others have attested in this thread, people do not think of code comments as simply 'plain text'. Unlike NEWS, ChangeLogs, etc, which *have* been the subject of some previous discussion. If people had actually brought up comments in Lisp code, it would have been a much difficult discussion.

We have used the same markup in Lisp comments as in Lisp docstrings for symbol references for ages. With associated benefits in highlighting and code completion. Why would we suddenly change that?