Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 14:51:32 +0300

From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 01:42:08 +0300

Hi Eli,

On 12.09.2021 19:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
-;; `eval' is hence the core of the culprit.  It's used on:
+;; 'eval' is hence the core of the culprit.  It's used on:

-;; encouraged to use `lisp-data-mode' instead.
+;; encouraged to use 'lisp-data-mode' instead.

-;; The time- functions below translate nil to `current-time' and
-;; accept an integer as of Emacs 25.  `decode-time' and
-;; `format-time-string' accept nil on Emacs 24 but don't accept an
+;; The time- functions below translate nil to 'current-time' and
+;; accept an integer as of Emacs 25.  'decode-time' and
+;; 'format-time-string' accept nil on Emacs 24 but don't accept an

Is this a good idea?

We decided to use this style in plain-text documentation long ago.

IME code comments are not the same as plain-text documentation.

Aside from highlighting, we have other code that relies on unambiguous markup. Emacs Lisp completion code also enters "symbol completion" mode (so to speak) after you type '`', allowing one to more easily input an existing symbol.

The fact that both font-lock and completion in Elisp do not recognize '...' currently is I think a good indicator that we have not really made a choice regarding this syntax in comments yet, and can reconsider.

I'm not sure we ever agreed to standardize on straight quotes in Lisp
comments (as opposed to plain text files like NEWS).

Comments, NEWS, PROBLEMS, DEBUG, commit log messages (thus the
generated ChangeLog files), and any other form of plain-text
documentation.

Having docstring markup in plain comments is fairly common across languages, I think.