Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 00:15:50 +0700

On 27/08/2021 08:01, Tim Cross wrote:
Dmitry Gutov writes:

Email is used by virtually everyone (for example, to receive notifications about
others' actions or messages), what's "unusual" for many is sending patches over
email. Or inlining them in comments/messages.

I'm not sure this is true. I think virtually all developers are forced
to suffer email, but a gorwing number don't use it. Often, all the
discussions, notifications, comments etc are actually consumed via a
mobile 'app'. For these users, logging into their inbox is frustrating
and inconvenient because their inbox is full of pointless and old
messages/notifications/alerts they have already seen/received via other
channels.

Duplication of notifications to a messenger + mail is definitly a source of annoyance and ability to configure notifications in its source is a handy feature.

Narrowing to email, it may be used by virtually everyone but much less people are able to setup mail filters accordingly to personal priorities of notifications. Ideally such tuning should be minimized, actually there is no common denominator for this kind of preferences, so some settings are unavoidable duty of users.

What is really sour is that notifications are often quite inconvenient for filtering.

I had positive experience with gerrit + redmine + sieve filters. Due to reach set of extended headers in mail messages it was possible to choose mail box based on committer, issue assignee or status change, result of build+tests. Failure of build of a my commit is rather important event. On the other hand I rarely visited mailbox with notification that build is started for someone else or even for me. A few iterations of filter tuning was stored in git.

For notifications from bitbucket and jira it was much harder or even impossible to determine the precise reason and configuring filters in outlook was a pain. There was no convenient set of X-... headers. I did not mange to approach to configuration that I considered as convenient from my previous experience.

Messengers are horror in the sense of customization and filtering of notifications. Channels are hard coded, instruments to suppress some messages are rather rude.

To avoid suffer due to email, development tools should be created with care and their users should be aware of features like filtering.

P.S. I have not checked whether notifications from SourceHut have reach enough metadata.