Re: How do you write input methods?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: How do you write input methods?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:26:18 +0200

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 12:23:40 -0400 "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
wrote:

> On 8/30/21 07:48, Stephen Berman wrote:
>>
>> I thought I had found it was necessary to use register-input-method but
>> I just tested omitting that and it seems you're right.  Either I
>> misremembered or misunderstood.  I guess that's an argument for
>> documenting how to write input methods ;-)
>>
> If you would be willing to write something very primitive, I'll volunteer to
> turn it into more readable texinfo. If we get started, almost certainly people
> will get angry about misstatements and help to fix them. :)

I'm afraid that even just coming up with a semi-coherent summary of the
two required functions I mentioned based on their doc strings would take
more time and effort than I can afford now.  But judging by the related
thread you started, your level of understanding of Emacs input methods
already surpasses mine, so if you have the time, I think you're in a
better position than me to get the doc ball rolling.  Otherwise, and if
nobody else jumps in, when I do have more time, I can try to cook
something up.

Steve Berman