Re: How do you write input methods?

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: How do you write input methods?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:29:15 +0300

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> Do any documents exist at all on how to define a new input method, or
> do I have to read the code?

As you've been told, the key aspects are the quail package and the leim
folder.  Let me share smth that wasn't yet addressed.

Some time ago, I wanted to write a short emacs package that would
transform a string as if it had been typed by another keyboard layout.
Trivial example: "yes" on QWERTY maps to "zes" on QWERTZ.

You can take a look, but the quality is rather poor.  It was the first
time I wrote elisp.

https://github.com/aadcg/emacs-yeis

I found out there is a small built-in package called robin.  Quail
supports CJK input-methods, while robin doesn't.  Sadly, even though
there are many input methods that aren't CJK, robin is nowhere used in
emacs.

I thought I could share this idea, but I'm not sure the maintainers will
like the idea to move non-CJK input methods from quail to robin.  From
the user perspective, it would bring new interesting features.

Russian-speaking people might know about a proprietary program called
Punto Switcher.  Or you might know about a free program called xneur
(https://xneur.ru/).

We could have those features in Emacs :)

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"