Re: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 04:15:05 +0200

Actually, it is more scalable and optimal to invest time implementing lsp and tree-sitteer building support because supporting more external packages and modes one by one for languages that maybe won't be popular after some years, so they will become unmaintained and unremovable from vanilla. Most of the code in the programming modes (and performance penalty) is actually dedicated to syntax highlight, indentation, and code navigation. Something that tree-sitee will do better and faster in most cases. Then language specific modes could add just some extra specific details... And we can invest then our time improving, not implementing basic support.
Some external packages are also very limited and there are other external additions and plugins to make them functional... So adding more and more modes for languages is worthless. Use a ring to rule them all please.