Re: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:53:51 +0200

> Out of curiosity, I checked [0] to see what the languages are said to be
> popular:

Thanks -- interesting list.

> | Language             | Status                                |
> |----------------------+---------------------------------------|
> | C                    | Built-In                              |
> | Python               | Built-In                              |
> | Java                 | Built-In                              |
> | C++                  | Built-In                              |
> | C#                   | ELPA                                  |

To clarify -- when I said that C# didn't need to be in Emacs Core, it's
not because it's not a major language (it is), but it's my opinion that
it's unlikely that a large number of people would want to use Emacs when
programming in C#.  (Because the IDEs that come bundled with the popular
C# compilers are what people are using, and it seems unlikely that many
people would want to switch away from those.)