Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 17:38:37 +0200

>> But you only do this for packages in elpa/nelpa?
>
> Yes, I do use `elpa-admin.el` for other packages.
> It requires a fair bit manual fiddling currently, because I haven't
> tried to provide a clean UI, but that can be done.
>
>> That does not handle random git repos from www?
>
> It will handle some random git packages, but not all, no.
> If the tool becomes popular enough, the pressure for packages to follow
> the required convention should be enough to make sure most packages can
> be handled (assuming that convention is sufficiently flexible).
>
>> This does not manage dependencies for git repos whithout spec.
>
> It partly does since the dependencies are (or can be) listed inside the
> <pkg>.el file.
>
> And it partly doesn't because those dependencies are specified as
> package names rather than URLs, so it lacks a way to find the URL
> corresponding to a given package name.  But those dependencies can be
> fetched from ELPA archives as well (you can mix and match, some packages
> installed from ELPA and some installed from Git).
>

>         Stefan

Yes, sounds as predicted.  Thanks for the anser.

Any thoughts of enabling non gnu elpa, and package.el to deal with packages in a
similar fashon as AUR and I guess similar solutions from other distros. What I
think of is that people could submit just build recipes into gnu elpa, without
tar-ed sources. Just the URLs or sources and the way to fetch/build and install
a package. Isn't it what el-get already does?

That could open for 3rd party "maintainers" to contribute a script to install a
package without the burden on package authors.

I guess anyone can clone "nelpa" and add someone elses package, but I am not
sure
how polite that would be considered. Maybe I am wrong, maybe it is just me, but
I have a feeling that it is a custom practice for elpa/nelpa/melpa that authors
themselves sumbit packages.