Re: Update of ELPA package guess-language

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Update of ELPA package guess-language
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 08:31:08 +0300

But maybe adding :auto-sync t is needed for GNU ELPA.

Seems like a prudent idea to me. I was surprised to learn that GNU ELPA and NonGNU ELPA behave differently in this regard. Perhaps there's some concern that changes that are not properly copyrighted might make their way into GNU ELPA?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021, at 2:51 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>> A while ago I contributed the package guess-language to ELPA [1].  In
>> the meantime, I’ve added some improvements in my own git repository
>> but it’s not entirely clear to me how I can update the ELPA version.
>> From reading the ELPA README [2], it seems that I have to request an
>> update on this list every time there is (significant-enough) change
>> in my repo (since I wasn’t given push permissions).  Is that really
>> true?  I’m asking because I rarely see such requests here and because
>> it’s not a terribly efficient workflow.  Is there no way that ELPA
>> can automatically pull changes from the original repository?
>
> It should be possible, some package specifications (see elpa-packages)
> are given the :auto-sync attribute, but I am not sure what the
> conditions are for a package to be granted this status.

I can't find docs for :auto-sync.  Is that still in use, i.e., is there
any behavior associated with it?  At least Stefan said in [1] that
auto-sync is effective for all packages in NonGNU ELPA.  And indeed, I
can testify that changing stuff in my upstream repo and increasing the
Version will trigger a new NonGNU ELPA release.

But maybe adding :auto-sync t is needed for GNU ELPA.

Bye,
Tassilo

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-08/msg00533.html