Re: ECM for possible process-status/sentinel bug

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: ECM for possible process-status/sentinel bug
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 20:25:38 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
>> Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:13:40 -0500
>>
>> So I'm left again with the test case I posted in the first message in
>> this thread.  In order to avoid filing useless reports, I was hoping to
>> get some advice along the lines of, "Yes, that might be a bug, please
>> report it as one," or "No, you just misunderstand how sentinels are
>> intended to work."  If someone could so advise me, I'd be grateful.
>> Otherwise I guess I'll report a bug in a day or so.
>
> Please report a bug with the simplest recipe to reproduce it.

Thanks.  I filed it here:

Lars narrowed down the apparent problem quickly, which may be a
documentation issue.

However, if it is, I'm left to wonder what the right way is to capture
the STDERR of a (make-process) process while also waiting on all of the
process's associated processes to exit, have their output collected into
the designated buffers, and their sentinels run.  The manual says to use
(while (accept-process-output PROCESS)), but apparently that may return
while a process's :stderr process is still running, or something like
that...  (The fact that "process" seems to have some extra meanings in
the context--it refers not only to the program called with
`make-process'--seems to add to the difficulty of reasoning and
communicating about these issues.)