Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 21:58:10 +0300

On 21.08.2021 22:10, Daniel Colascione wrote:
Today, winner binds C-c LEFT  and C-c RIGHT for window configuration undo and redo, respectively. This set of bindings has three problems:

 1) the bindings occupy binding space on important keys, LEFT and RIGHT, for functions that are rarely used,

Frequently used here. I often need to back out of some window management mishaps.

2) the winner binding space isn't logically connected to window management, and

3) the bindings don't work on terminals without LEFT and RIGHT.

How about we set up these bindings instead?

C-x 4 C-/ winner-undo

M-- C-x 4 C-/ winner-redo

Makes sense in theory, but these are not repeatable (though some integration with repeat-mode, as well as more advertising of that mode, could work around that problem).

I guess my main reservation is that the current bindings are very comfortable, and we'd lose the chance to tell the user about them.

Perhaps we could instead add a defcustom which would list both options?