Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:42:08 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  philipk@posteo.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 16:34:34 +0200
>
> I understand they consider it a security issue, but I don't understand
> why. Couldn't they apply same rules to symlinked file access as if the
> access was direct?

If the symlink resolution is done below the level where access rights
are checked, you cannot do that.

Also, the ACL system on Windows is very complex, and there are a lot
of access rights inherited indirectly, so maybe there's more to it
than meets the eye.  Like I said, I'm not an expert on this stuff.

> Bit I guess Microsoft has acquired quite clever
> people so they have their reasons. I don't think they removed symlinks
> just because, for no good reason.

Symlinks are not removed from Windows, they are present (and Emacs on
Windows supports them).