Re: New Context Menu

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 16:11:23 +0200

From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:01:10 +0300
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

What would a good key to bind such command?  Maybe 'S-<f10>'?

Probably.  Or C-M-<f10>.

Hi Eli:

There is the [menu] button. It is unused at least in xterm because
it is not bound properly (I sent a message on yesterday).

By default [menu] is bound to the same than M-x, so it is a good trade
of to rebind it in the context-menu map, so by default the current
behavior is not affected. But also, because it will provide the same
behavior than other user interfaces around.

In other terminals (urxvt) such button sends S-<f6>, that is not bound
to anything either. And some others (gnome-terminal) intercept the
binding before reaching emacs... so, I think is a good trade off with
minimal impact.

But please note that currently when you select a menu item
using the keyboard, many commands will fail with

  (error "Command must be bound to an event with parameters")

Those commands should ideally be fixed to not signal such errors,
because that's not good UI on TTY frames.  Commands that cannot be
fixed shouldn't appear in the context menus popped on TTY frames to
begin with.