Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 18:54:15 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:11:10 +0200
> Cc: "Yuri D'Elia" <wavexx@thregr.org>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > Well, then it's a pity you are speaking up just now, instead of 8
> > months ago, or whenever you discovered NATIVE_FULL_AOT.
>
> AFAIR, this was discussed already several months ago.  For example in
> this thread:
>
>     https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2021-02/msg00950.html

I don't think I see the issue being _discussed_ there.  It's a single
message.

We aren't talking about the AOT build in general being supported, we
are talking about making it first-class citizen.  Can you point to
discussions of the advantages and disadvantages of that?  Perhaps I
missed that, or forgot.

> My conclusion from those discussions was that we do want to support
> AOT compilation so that it can be used by GNU/Linux distributions.

>From that single message, or from others?

> I haven't been able to follow development closely for a couple of
> months, but I am surprised to hear that this is now not even
> considered something we want to document.

That's not what I said, please don't misrepresent.  I said that if we
want to make this more mainstream than before, we may need to delay
the release of Emacs 28.  That's a far cry from not considering it
documented.