Re: I want to add a package to GNU ELPA: infix-notation-calculator

From: Christian Johansson
Subject: Re: I want to add a package to GNU ELPA: infix-notation-calculator
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 09:32:37 +0200

Hi!

Sure, I think calc and calculator are more full-focused calculators that require a learning-curve, this plugin is more of an quick ad-hoc calculator that calculates values like (infix notation)

* 1+3*5
* 4 + 4.5 - (34/(8*3+-3))
* -56 + 2
* 3^2

So you can just select a region (regardless of mode) containing any expression like that and you will get the calculated result in the echo area and in the calculation log buffer.

You can also use the mode infix-notation-calculator-mode in a buffer to make calculations at chosen places in the buffer, so you can mix notes with calculations (like a spreadsheet but less advanced), example buffer-contents:
---

Morgage:
100000*0.05
=5000.0

Skates to my daughter:
6000+2000+1500
=9500.0

;; Some random notes here

Ratio:
4 + 4.5 - (34/(8*3+-3))
=6.880952380952381
---

Here the calculations are inserted automatically on the next line when pressing <C-return>. This is very handy I think when making everyday ad-hoc notes

Lastly you can calculate any input in the mini-buffer on demand

Hälsningar / Best Regards
Christian