Re: NonGNU ELPA rules regarding nonfree software

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA rules regarding nonfree software
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 15:15:54 +0300

> From: Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me>
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 15:41:00 +1000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Could you please describe the situation in more detail?
> > For instance, give the names of two or three of those nonfree
> > programs
> > and describe how org-mac-link.el interacts with them?
>
> The nonfree programs include Finder (the default file manager on a
> Mac OS X), Google Chrome and Microsoft Outlook.

Those are integral parts of their operating systems, no?  I don't
think OS components count, otherwise we'd need to say that running on
any proprietary OS means recommending nonfree software.

> > ;; This code allows you to grab either the current selected items, or
> > ;; the frontmost url in various mac appliations, and insert them as
> > ;; hyperlinks into the current org-mode document at point.

FWIW, I see no problem with this: it's a general-purpose feature that
allows communications with any other application using (AFAIU) a
standard protocol.