Re: [Patch] Basic WYSIWYG printing in GNU Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Patch] Basic WYSIWYG printing in GNU Emacs
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 09:11:00 +0300

> From: Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:04:39 +0530
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > Correction is in order - the screenshot/ rendering within Emacs requires
> Ghostscript. Printing to
>  printer
>  > would use OS specific print commands e.g. lpr on *nix.
>
>  Now I'm even more confused.  How does one "render within Emacs with
>  Ghostscript"?  Emacs display rendering uses our display engine, which
>  doesn't need Ghostscript, and AFAIK cannot use it.  I guess I'm
>  misunderstanding something very basic here...
>
> The screenshots linked in OP shows split windows - one with original text and
> another with PS file. The PS
> file section is actually a PNG image generated with Ghostscript from the PS
> file. The PS file itself is
> generated by my code.

OK, that takes care of my confusion, thanks.

But the original question still stands: where do you make use of
Ghostscript in your code which generates the PS file?  Or maybe you
don't use Ghostscript for that (which would be good news), and I just
misunderstood you did?  IOW, is Ghostscript a prerequisite for using
your WYSIWYG printing code to produce the PS stuff (as opposed to
sending the PS to the printer)?