Re: [Patch] Basic WYSIWYG printing in GNU Emacs

From: Anand Tamariya
Subject: Re: [Patch] Basic WYSIWYG printing in GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:19:14 +0530

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 5:11 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 10:02:03 +0530
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Printers use "postscriptname" defined in a font file while searching for fonts. psname.txt provides a sample
> of how to read that information from a font backend. It is not mandatory - but its presence will prevent nasty
> surprises. In its absence, Lisp code uses font file base name. If the file name doesn't match
> postscriptname, printing might fail - "might" because printer will try its best to substitute a suitable font.
> Theoretically, there's no dependency except Ghostscript which does most of the heavy lifting for printing in
> Emacs. Fonts other than Truetype might require additional configuration as defined in Ghostscript manual.

Could you please point to the code which uses or requires Ghostscript,
I don't think I see it in the patch you sent.  And since you seem to
be using the HarfBuzz rendering, why do we need Ghostscript at all?

Thanks.
Correction is in order - the screenshot/ rendering within Emacs requires Ghostscript. Printing to printer would use OS specific print commands e.g. lpr on *nix.