Re: [elpa] scratch/email-revision-details

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: [elpa] scratch/email-revision-details
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 02:54:51 +1200

On 2021-08-08 10:38, Stefan Monnier wrote:
- Make it so `elpaa--release-email` is called directly from
  `elpaa--make-one-tarball` when `revision-function` is non-nil.
  [ AFAICT `elpaa--release-email` is called if-and-only-if
    `revision-function` is non-nil and always in the same way

That's true, but the `revision-function' being passed varies...

- Change `elpaa--make-one-tarball` to remember the commit id returned
  by `revision-function`, so we can pass it to `elpaa--release-email`.

...and it wasn't clear to me that it was safe to assume that
the value being returned by any particular `revision-function'
was guaranteed to be a git commit -- the single case where
`elpaa--get-release-revision' was called was the only one that
I'd been trying to target.

Looking again, `elpaa--get-last-release' seems to be responsible
for providing the revision value in other situations, and it's
similarly grabbing it from git (interestingly this code is getting
the first line of the git output explicitly, as in my workaround
for that git bug), so your suggestion makes sense.

-Phil