Re: [External] : Re: Dired C idea

From: Fabrice Bauzac-Stehly
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Dired C idea
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 10:56:33 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Currently, "C" asks before overwriting files.  rsync overwrites files
>   > without asking.
>
> This looks like a sharp difference between the cp and rsync, but I
> suspect this compares cp in one scenario with rsync in another usage
> scenario.  It is hard to see this because the statement is so terse,
> and I can't be sure of it, but I think it is so.
>
> If you describe the two usage scenarios, we could tell for certain.

Here is the usage scenario I'm thinking about:

Let's imagine a user with a scanner which generates a time-based name
for each pdf file it scans.  That person regularly scans per invoices
and uses the "C" command to archive them into directory "invoices/",
while changing the name at the same time to "invoice-NiceCompany.pdf".

It sometimes happens that this person forgets that a long time ago a
file with the same name was already saved, for another invoice.  This
person trusts the "C" command to tell if an overwrite is going to
happen, preventing the loss of the old invoice.

--
Fabrice Bauzac-Stehly
PGP 01EEACF8244E9C14B551C5256ADA5F189BD322B6