Re: [External] : Re: Dired C idea

From: Fabrice Bauzac-Stehly
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Dired C idea
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 21:43:56 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   >                 why replace the command bound to
>   > `C'

> Because that's the Dired command to copy files.
> I think of rsync as a better way of copying them.

Currently, "C" asks before overwriting files.  rsync overwrites files
without asking.  Users who are used to having a prompt to prevent
accidental overwrites could be surprised of the new behaviour.  Maybe it
could be gentler to allow both cp and rsync implementations, and ask for
which to use on the first invocation (prominently indicating the new
overwrite behaviour), saving the setting for all later uses.

Which options should we give to rsync by default?  Maybe:

  -a --hard-links --partial --one-file-system

I'm not sure whether we should add --acls and/or --xattrs.

> I recall that rsync has a bug in handling arguments that contain
> spaces.  We would need to get that fixed, in order for this change not
> to cause problems.

I think that's what --protect-args do.  Let's add it to the default
options.

--
Fabrice Bauzac-Stehly
PGP 01EEACF8244E9C14B551C5256ADA5F189BD322B6