Re: On the adoption of transient.el

From: Omar Polo
Subject: Re: On the adoption of transient.el
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 19:20:09 +0200

> John Yates [2021-08-06 08:39:51] wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 7:41 PM Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> wrote:
>>> Currently I'm finishing implementation of a new vc command ...
>> [..SNIP..]
>>> it works by running three git commands:
>>>
>>> `git stash push -m stash_name -- list_of_file_names_from_diff`
>>> `cat diff_buffer.patch | git am` # should also handle return code
>>> `git stash pop -q`
>>
>> Will this new command work with all vc supported [D]VCSs?
>
> I don't know the practical answer, but I do know in theory it could:
> we just need to add generic support for "stash".
>

>         Stefan

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but given that the we ended up talking
about stash support for vc, I thought to share this.

I'm working (very very slowly) on vc-got[0], a vc backend for the GoT[1]
vcs.  One of the things I did was to add a shash command, and while very
primitive, it seems to work decently.  It adds an additional column in
vc-dir to show the stage status of the file (there are a couple of
screenshot in the readme).  The implementation is quite messy because
vc-dir-move-to-goal-column hardcodes the value of 25 and I wanted to add
an additional column with the stage status *before* the file status.  I
also had to add an additional command, vc-got-stage-commit, because
vc-next-action (and the rest of vc) assumes that we're working with file
sets.  The process of (un)staging hunks is still pretty tedious since
it's basically a wrapper around `got stage -p' (the equivalent of `git
add -p') using y-or-n-p...

So, all of this to say that I'd really like if someone would try to add
something to vc-mode to stage (and un-stage!) individual hunks, and I'd
like to help in that case.  I'm not stepping up myself because I don't
feel qualified enough (^_^);

Cheers,

[0]: https://git.omarpolo.com/vc-got or https://github.com/omar-polo/vc-got/
[1]: https://gameoftrees.org/