Re: Async rebuild package-quickstart after packages update? was Re: 28.0

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Async rebuild package-quickstart after packages update? was Re: 28.0.50; Proposal: slightly more efficient package-quickstart.el
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:19:35 -0400

T.V Raman [2021-08-04 07:20:49] wrote:
> Interesting:-) Other discussons on emacs-devel have declared that
> make-thread should never be used if the async call expects user-input
> -- so combining both conclusions, we might as well declare make-thread
> useless

Good point.  Indeed I mis(spoke|wrote): the fact that it doesn't need
user input makes it *possible* to use `make-thread`, but the fact that
it doesn't block on subprocess output (and instead spends all its time
interpreting ELisp code) makes `make-thread` useless because it will
basically never yield ;-(

Here, we really want to start a new Emacs process (in this specific case
we even *want* that process to be (mostly) fresh&clean, contrary to many
other situations where we'd want a new process that "configured just
like the current process").

        Stefan