Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:25:18 +0100

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

> The two `line-beginning-position' calls and the `copy-marker' are
> gratuitous though.

One good way to demonstrate such a claim that is to show a patch that
doesn't change behaviour where this gratutiousness isn't present.  I'll
be happy to merge it.

> This should become a minor mode and crowd `post-command-hook'
> only if enabled - otherwise you needlessly punish electric users.

There is the variable jit-lock-antiblink-grace.  electric-pair-mode --
which I also designed in its current form -- isn't on by default.  The
code in jit-lock-antiblink-grace could theoretically check for it, but
IMO it's a non-issue: as I mentioned I benchmarked the effects of this
in large files according to specific instructions by Eli who was also
concerned about the performance hit and found no evidence of any kind of
punishment.

> And it should be documented somewhere.

See C-h v jit-lock-antiblink-grace.

>> I didn't know it was customizbale (or rather didn't bother to check, I
>> admit).  But again, I seem to remember that customizing it back to nil
>> wasn't an option and that Emacs would break.  Maybe that has changed?
>> Is it really truly optional?
>
> Sure.

If it's a performance-only optimization with non-zero functional
detriment it should be off by default.

João