Re: Font display size is incorrect

From: Anand Tamariya
Subject: Re: Font display size is incorrect
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 19:15:02 +0530

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 1:47 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 11:17:44 +0530
>
> In the screenshot (https://lifeofpenguin.blogspot.com/2021/06/basic-wysiwyg-printing-in-gnu-emacs.html),
> :height property is set as the number in parentheses. The text display size is incorrect in some cases.
> Following pairs are shown as same size: 120-130, 170-180, 210-220, 230-240.

If you look closely at the produced display, you will see that the
heights of the above pairs of lines are indeed different; it's the
_width_ that is identical.  So it sounds like you expected the width
to change together with the height, but I'm not sure I understand why
such an assumption is justified.
If the fonts are only vertically stretched for their heights, all the lines should be the same width. This is not the case. What's the algorithm here?
Is there a recommended way to draw 17pt and 18pt text so that they appear distinct proportionally as they would in a hardcopy?