Re: New GC concept

From: Matt Armstrong
Subject: Re: New GC concept
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 10:32:01 -0700

Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org> writes:

> Emacs has had the same GC for a decent amount of time now (since the
> 1980s, really). I spent some time in 2020 rewriting it from scratch. I
> haven't had time to work on the new GC recently, but I figure I'd throw
> it out here to get some feedback on the general concept.
>
> Check out
> https://github.com/dcolascione/emacs-1/blob/newgc-wip/src/alloc.c,
> specifically the big doc comment on top

Hey Daniel, I am no GC expert but I'm liking this a lot.  I love the
block comments in your alloc.c -- very clear and easy to understand.
You're in a uniquely good position to work on this.  I hope you
continue!

I'm curious about the answer to one of the unanswered questions in your
alloc.c FAQ: What about systems without virtual memory?  Asked another
way: can we reasonably expect to entirely replace the current GC with
this new one?  Are there platforms Emacs supports today that would be
left behind?