Re: How to measure frame rate in fps?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to measure frame rate in fps?
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 19:48:17 +0300

On 06.06.2021 15:36, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Then I don't see how this is relevant to the issue with the GTK tool
bar making "do-nothing" redisplays more expensive.  The above is a
completely different scenario; depending on what exactly was Emacs
doing in this scenario, redrawing of the GTK tool bar could indeed
account for an insignificant percentage of the CPU time.

In my scenario the observable window configuration doesn't change between redisplays (though, of course, "current buffer" is switched multiple times under the covers, to send request and parse/receive response), and the values of point (again, during redisplay), are only 1 character position apart.

So if there is some caching of the toolbar contents, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm also not sure how rendering it can take 10-15 extra milliseconds, but for all I know this could be normal.

Since the code path that calls (redisplay) in Company is only triggered
when talking to an external process (or, more generally, when the
backend does something that allows a timer to run), to test this I
repeatedly exercise completion using an external service, talking to it
via HTTP/JSON.

And what are you trying to investigate or establish with profiling
this scenario?  Maybe I simply don't understand what you wanted to
demonstrate.

That toolbar being enabled has a somewhat unexpected effect on redisplay performance.