Re: How to measure frame rate in fps?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to measure frame rate in fps?
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 18:00:35 +0300

On 01.06.2021 17:43, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I know very little about the cost of the GTK tool bar redrawing: the
code is in gtkutil.c, and it's full of GTK API calls.  Maybe the above
times are explained and justified by that, I don't know.

Sometimes the times are high like this, sometimes they are lower. Could be it's another GTK bug, and there's nothing we can do, but it's probably a bug *somewhere*.

I also am not sure the above faithfully reflects what happens in Real
Life when Emacs has nothing to redisplay: I think you get the tool-bar
redisplay triggered because the evaluation of the benchmark call
causes it somehow.  How did you evaluate it, exactly?

Either using M-:, or with M-x benchmark like you suggested (only without prefix argument, to measure just 1 iteration). The results are similar.

Not so noticeable if it just happens once, but easily affects the
performance of code which performs "virtual" redisplay, such as
posn-at-point.

How do you deduce that posn-at-point triggers redisplay of the GTK
tool bar?  It shouldn't, AFAIR.  posn-at-point and its ilk only
simulate display of text, they don't care about window's and frame's
decorations.

You're right, posn-at-point shows me different timings. Often enough as high as 12-15ms, which is not great for a low latency display, but the numbers don't seem to be tied to tool-bar-mode being on.

But we end up calling `redisplay` explicitly on a different code path in Company (when a backend talks to an external process, basically), so it's still affected by how long that takes.