Remote GUI Emacs really works (was: cc-mode fontification feels random)

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Remote GUI Emacs really works (was: cc-mode fontification feels random)
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 15:59:25 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> Usually running a remote emacs is extremely slow if using gui and
> creates all kind of issues if the connection fails or hang.

Use the right method: something based on the NX protocol, like x2go.

Until a year ago, I used that with no issues on ADSL lines with 60KBps
upstream bandwidth. Connection failures are a non-issue: the session is
kept live on the remote machine, you simply reconnect to it and
everything comes back as it was. The same mechanism allows you to
suspend and resume the session at your convenience.

Text-based applications such as Emacs work very well with this setup
over slow networks, just some tens of KBps are enough. As long as you
don't have too much latency (as it is often the case with cellular
networks) the experience is quite good.