Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 03:14:10 +0700

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 at 02:53, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Currently, the way Eglot works for remote files is that it
> > runs the LSP server on the remote host via TRAMP.
>
> Why does it do that?  Does the LSP server have to access the file
> itself?  We have all the contents of that file locally in a buffer, so
> we could hand it to LSP locally.

The contents of the file are not sufficient to parse it. A C file will
#include some headers. A Python program will import some modules. Some
of these (e.g. the standard library) will likely be installed both
locally and remotely, but might be different versions. Some
(first-party dependencies) will be resolvable from the source file.
Some (third-party dependencies) will be installed remotely but not
locally.

A useful pattern is to build a Docker container, mount the source tree
as a volume, install the toolchain and any third-party dependencies
into the container, and run the LSP server in there. This way, these
dependencies do not contaminate the developer’s machine, while still
being available to the LSP server. The container can also run
different versions of compilers, interpreters, etc. than are installed
on the developer’s machine.