Re: complexity in minibuffer

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: complexity in minibuffer
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 16:45:46 +0100

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 4:38 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > By that time, you have already traversed the completion list many times.
> > What's the problem with having the completions themselves contain
> > all that's needed to render them?
>
> If you have 10K completions, the time need to compute their rendering
> becomes very significant, so we want to only compute the rendering for
> those completion which actually reach the glass.

Same answer as to Dmitry.  Did you miss the fact from a lot of email ago
that I'm proposing attaching a function to each completions to be called
just-in-time?  The only extra cost is the attachment of this function to the
completion.

The benchmarks I did were with 45K completions and showed a small
overhead, just for the group-fun calling bit.  So likely even more
diluted once you consider each completion iteration.

> Not necessarily: you could also decide to only group those completions
> which are displayed.

Hmm, that would be great yes, but as far as I understand grouping changes
order so you can't know the second without doing the first.  Like sorting.
Unless you mean "decide" as in "dramatically changing the semantics of
grouping".

João