Re: Cycling first N heading levels in outline

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Cycling first N heading levels in outline
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 18:21:35 +0800

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

>> Hmm. Have you tried org-shifttab (bound to S-<TAB>)? It operates
>> globally across the buffer.
>
> I rather keep things to outline-minor-mode than apply org functionality.
> Originally,
> Was using org-mode as the major buffer but that removed programming
> highlighting.
> Outline should take care of such things itself rather than workarounds with
> org
> functionality.

Sorry, I actually mixed this message with org mailing list because of
the contents. I initially though that you referred to org.

As for highlighting issue, please report is as a bug if you think that
Org does something wrongly.

>> Also, there is outline-hide-sublevels. When called with prefix argument,
>> it will display sublevels from level 1 up until the level equal to the
>> prefix argument.
>
> But LEVELS defaults to the level of the *current heading* or to 1 if the
> *current line is not a heading*.  This means I got to go to a heading.
>
> The problem occurs for long files, because I am forces to navigate the file.
> If the heading level is deep, it is difficult to search through.

Yet, with *numeric* prefix argument it will forcefully show all the
levels between 1 and number passed as prefix argument.

Best,
Ihor