Cycling first N heading levels in outline

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Cycling first N heading levels in outline
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 11:53:51 +0200

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

> Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 9:46 PM
> From: "Ihor Radchenko" <yantar92@gmail.com>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Cycling first N heading levels in outline
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > It is useful for mathematical and scientific classification work.
> >
> > I attach a texinfo file, where @usec, @usubsec, @usubsubsec are defined as
> > headings.
> >
> > You can use "Show Branches", "Show Children", and "Show Subtree".  But they
> > all force
> > the user to move point to a specific heading, i.e. there are no operations
> > which are global
> > across the buffer.
>
> Hmm. Have you tried org-shifttab (bound to S-<TAB>)? It operates
> globally across the buffer.

I rather keep things to outline-minor-mode than apply org functionality.
Originally,
Was using org-mode as the major buffer but that removed programming
highlighting.

Outline should take care of such things itself rather than workarounds with org
functionality.

> Also, there is outline-hide-sublevels. When called with prefix argument,
> it will display sublevels from level 1 up until the level equal to the
> prefix argument.

But LEVELS defaults to the level of the *current heading* or to 1 if the
*current line is not a heading*.  This means I got to go to a heading.

The problem occurs for long files, because I am forces to navigate the file.
If the heading level is deep, it is difficult to search through.