Re: emacsclient in elisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient in elisp
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 09:41:40 -0400

> I am looking for an elisp implementation of emacsclient.
> Is such a functionality already build into Emacs?

No.  I think the reason goes as follows: for the intended purpose of
`emacsclient`, the time needed to start Emacs itself makes an ELisp
implementation useless, and for other purposes you can generally have
a separate server process per client process and it's just as easy if
not easier to then use `start-process` and a ad-hoc communication
protocol rather than having to reuse the protocol used for `emacsclient`
(which is neither very convenient nor very extensible).

That also saves you from the problem of choosing a socket name/number
for the communication between the two processes and dealing with the
associated problems of security.

        Stefan