RE: [External] : Re: Indicate better the current use of the echo area /

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Indicate better the current use of the echo area / minibuffer [was: Controlling Isearch from minibuffer]
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 21:55:49 +0000

> Drew,
>
> This is just an idea.  I am prototyping it but do not
> have a fully working implementation yet.
>
> I use a separate minibuffer frame.  The idea is to
> have a one pixel frame inner border.  The border
> changes from matching the background to some
> contrasting color when the minibuffer is active.
>
> I am not sure what the analog to the inner border
> should be for the non-separate minibuffer frame
> scenario.

Sounds good.  And that should be useful also for
distinguishing Isearch.

But it would be hard to use it to show different
recursive-edit levels.  One pixel is not much, when
it comes to feeling/noticing a difference.  But it's
worth experimenting.

As for trying to apply something like that to an
ordinary minibuffer window (not in a separate frame):

There are frame parameters with "border" in their name.
And there is a `tool-bar-border' variable.  But I don't
think there is anything concerning windows with "border"
in the name.

On the other hand, windows have dividers:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Window-Dividers.html

But it looks like they only apply to the window above
or to the left of a given window.  For the minibuffer
window it sounds like you'd have to apply it to the
window above.  Doesn't sound too easy.

Maybe someone else has an idea about this.