Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 11:25:27 +0200

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

Hi Martin,

> If there were an API for that we could support it.  I still don't get
> a couple of things with sway: Does it support resize requests?  What
> happens when you make an already visible frame invisible or iconified?
> Does it support size hints?

I've asked on #sway-devel.  Here's the transcript:

11:14 <tsdh> I'm currently debugging some windowing issue with some emacs
             dev, and he has some questions regarding sway which probably
             someone here can comment on:
11:15 <tsdh> Does it support resize requests?  What happens when you make an
             already visible frame invisible or iconified?  Does it support
             size hints?
11:15 <tsdh> "it" is sway, and frame = WM window.
11:16 <emersion> resize requests: yes
11:16 <emersion> size hints: yes
11:16 <emersion> iconified: iirc that does nothing
11:16 <emersion> but not sure
11:16 <emersion> all of this assumes an x11 client
11:17 <tsdh> emersion: Yes, right now, emacs is an x11 client (GTK3 built).
11:18 <tsdh> What does sway when a new emacs frame should be mapped and
             requests a certain size?  It's at least not honored in tiling
             mode which is obviously fine.
11:25 <emersion>
https://github.com/swaywm/sway/blob/31b4b96ebf2af88630752d8518fd360ff84cf3e5/sway/desktop/xwayland.c#L584
11:28 <tsdh> Thanks!

> ... and this is our usual annoyance.  I attached a new patch which
> should handle these cases as well.  If there's anything else left,
> please tell me.

The new version handles all cases we've had so far.  Thanks!

If I encounter another case, I'll come back to you.  But that's very
unlikely, I usually have just one single frame plus the ones spawned by
emacsclient -c.

Bye,
Tassilo