Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 10:29:45 +0200

>> OK.  Now please start with emacs -Q -iconic and tell me how it looks
>> like when you deiconify it.
>
> Iconified frames/windows are nothing supported by sway.  If you don't
> need a window but don't want to close it, you can send it to the
> scratchpad workspace.

If there were an API for that we could support it.  I still don't get a
couple of things with sway: Does it support resize requests?  What
happens when you make an already visible frame invisible or iconified?
Does it support size hints?

> Anyway, emacs -Q -iconic results in a frame where
> only the menubar is shown and the toolbar is missing until I switch
> focus back and forth, so just like a normal, non-iconic frame without
> your latest patch.
>
>> Also please do a
>>
>> (setq frame (make-frame '((visibility . icon))))
>
> I get a new frame with a menubar but no toolbar (unless I'd resize it or
> swith focus back and forth).

While here we could say "don't do that, then" ...

>> followed by (make-frame-visible frame)
>
> No observable change.
>
>> and a
>>
>> (setq frame (make-frame '((visibility . nil))))
>
> Nothing happens which I guess is expected.

... this one looks like valid behavior ...

>> (make-frame-visible frame)
>
> The frame appears with again a menubar but no toolbar (until I apply one
> of my workarounds as above).

... and this is our usual annoyance.  I attached a new patch which
should handle these cases as well.  If there's anything else left,
please tell me.

martin