Re: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 00:11:48 +0300

> Apologies for not following this thread.  It seems to be
> quite wide in its scope (but I could easily just be
> misunderstanding).
>
> Is there really a focus on somehow changing just `M-e'
> (edit the search pattern, with searching suspended while
> doing that)?  Somehow I've gotten the impression that
> much more seems to be under discussion (i.e., at stake).
>
> What really is the _concrete problem_ that you're trying
> to solve, for which you think (IIUC) that Isearch should
> use the minibuffer (aside from the current uses it makes
> of the minibuffer, which are really outside searching)?

When you type 'C-f' in a web browser, it activates the "minibuffer".
Then you can type a search string.  As soon as you type a character
in the minibuffer, it immediately updates the search state
in the original window.  You can edit the search string
while the minibuffer is active, and the search results are
updated immediately.  Also each browser window has own search.

There are no plans to change the current default isearch behavior,
but still users might want to have an option to have a search
like in browsers.