Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 22:12:59 +0300

>>> The current design is not without flaws either: when multi-buffer
>>> isearch visits another buffer, it removes the isearch menu, because
>>> isearch-mode is already buffer-local.
>>
>> This patch fixes the problem.  It disables isearch-mode in the previous
>> buffer, and enables in the next buffer.
>
> Do you think the `with-isearch-window-quitting-edit' macro from the
> patch I sent in the "Controlling Isearch from the minibuffer" thread
> will be sufficient to make this work in conjunction with the
> minibuffer-controlled mode?

Using multi-buffer isearch with isearch-from-minibuffer adds a new
dimension to complexity, but could be simplified when all isearch commands
will be redirected from the minibuffer to the original buffer.

The main problem is that currently quitting the minibuffer restores
the original window configuration, so quitting isearch-edit-string
will restore the original buffer state before isearch was started.