Re: Some native compiler related renaming

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Some native compiler related renaming
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 18:01:42 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie>
>> Cc: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 16:03:50 +0100
>>
>> No bonus points for me please, only some nits.  How's this:
>
> Thanks.  I don't agree with some of your changes:

Sure, that's why I wanted to check with you first.

>>    If Emacs was compiled with support for native compilation
>> -(@pxref{Native Compilation}), then when a @samp{.elc} byte-compiled
>> +(@pxref{Native Compilation}), then when a @file{.elc} byte-compiled
>>  file is found by searching @code{load-path}, Emacs will try to look
>> -for a corresponding @samp{.eln} file holding the corresponding
>> +for a corresponding @file{.eln} file holding the corresponding
>
> The text uses @samp elsewhere for file-name extensions, so I wanted to
> be consistent.

Fair enough; it seemed to me like most of those occurrences in the
affected sections were talking about constructing file names.

>> -system directory, i.e.@: the directory with @samp{.eln} files
>> -installed by the Emacs build and installation procedure.  In each of
>> -the directories in the list, Emacs looks for @samp{.eln} files in a
>> +system directory, i.e., the directory with @file{.eln} files installed
>
> I VERY much dislike using a comma after "i.e.".

I do too, but I thought that was the preferred US convention.

Pushed with the objectionable parts removed.

Tiny fixes to recent native compilation docs
bb8b8d717f 2021-05-08 17:53:41 +0100
https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=bb8b8d717f91a85ca41de9e82246e6975e1ed719

Thanks,

--