Re: Small shell-mode patch to handle auto-cd (e.g. shells like zsh)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Small shell-mode patch to handle auto-cd (e.g. shells like zsh)
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 09:36:20 +0300

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, shivers@cs.cmu.edu, jason.kim@revtera.com
> From: Jason Kim <jason.w.kim@icloud.com>
> Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 09:35:16 -0700
>
> > Should this variable's value be computed automatically based on the
> > shell's name?
>
> I don't think so... If only because its an option that needs enabling in
> zsh as well?

Sorry, I don't think I understand.  My understanding was that this
feature is supported by some shells whose names are known in advance
(like zsh), so Emacs could compute the value as appropriate for that
shell without asking the user to set it.  If this is not a good idea,
can you explain why?

Thanks.