Re: Increase default `line-spacing' to 0.05, 0.10 or 0.15 [proposal]

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Increase default `line-spacing' to 0.05, 0.10 or 0.15 [proposal]
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 17:46:41 +0200

On Thu,  6 May 2021 at 18:21, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
>> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  jporterbugs@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 14:27:23 +0200
>>
>> I've attached a PDF where the first page uses the default \baselineskip,
>> the second sets it to zero.  Which one looks more like emacs -Q?
>
> I only see a difference in the lines that are all dots.  Did I miss
> something?

Yes.  In the second page (\baselineskip=0pt), the text is very cramped
in the vertical direction.  Not pleasant to look at.  Also, much more
cramped than emacs -Q currently is if you use a reasonable font.  And
this is despite the fact that emacs -Q adds no extra space between
lines.

In the first page (default \baselineskip), the text is rather condensed
vertically, but not to a degree that it becomes unpleasant.  emacs -Q is
rather condensed vertically, but not to the degree of being unpleasant.
Paradoxically, TeX is using the equivalent of (setq line-spacing 0.2).

Now, this is an aesthetics question, therefore subjective — just like the
original subject of this thread.