Re: Increase default `line-spacing' to 0.05, 0.10 or 0.15 [proposal]

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: Increase default `line-spacing' to 0.05, 0.10 or 0.15 [proposal]
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 10:51:06 +0200

On 5/5/21 9:08 AM, Augusto Stoffel wrote:
> In general, all ASCII art using box-drawing characters will look wrong
> if line spacing is used.
>
> In normal typography you are free to choose how much space to add
> between lines, but the horizontal condensedness is a fixed
> characteristic of the font.  It seems to me that for monospaced fonts
> the vertical condensedness is pretty much fixed by the font design as
> well.
>
> For instance, in monospaced fonts the descender of "g" tends to look a
> bit squished.  This is a compromise; if the font designer wanted to make
> the font vertically more sparse, they might as well have given the
> descender a bit more room.

This is true, however my experiments to use ASCII box drawing characters
for UI elements were all quite unsuccessful recently (UI popup in Corfu
and various UI tricks in Consult). Furthermore if you implement a UI you
should make sure that it works well with line-spacing>0.

I have now set line-spacing=0.1 in my configuration and I like it so
far. It looks better indeed. I don't see something in wrong in testing
this for a while in order to obtain user feedback.

Daniel