Re: master c622627: * Clean-up temporary eln test-suite directory when e

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master c622627: * Clean-up temporary eln test-suite directory when exiting (bug#48060)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 17:26:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Answering both your questions: Emacs will have to understand that in
>> this condition "test/eln-cache/" has to be pushed to
>> `comp-eln-load-path'.  To do this as you suggest we could set an
>> env-var, but this is not much different from what we do now (and IIUC
>> this is what Michael doesn't like much and was called a dependency).
>> Also we'd still have to handle this push in startup.el, am I wrong?
>>
>> Maybe we could have the Emacs invocation in the Makefile changed to
>> explicitly tweak `comp-eln-load-path' using -eval?
>
> That's one way, yes.

Something like this. But instead of using --eval, we could honor an
environment variable $EMACSELNLOADPATH, like we do already with
$EMACSLOADPATH? Or we could add an invocation option --elndirectory=dir,
like we do already with --directory=dir?

Or both. (Better names are always appreciated)

Best regards, Michael.