Re: Patch to vertically center line content when using line-spacing vari

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Patch to vertically center line content when using line-spacing variable
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:00:22 -0400

On 4/25/21 9:00 PM, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 4/25/21 7:28 PM, Stefan Kangas wrote:
>>> (I would just treat the old behavior as a bug and not even add a
>>> variable for it, but that's me.  Perhaps there is some rationale for
>>> why someone would want to set this to nil?)
>>
>> Does this patch change the behavior of the line-spacing text property,
>> too, or just the line-spacing variable?
>
> It seems to affect the 'line-spacing' text property too.
>
>> I use the line property in multiple packages, and it would break these
>> packages is line-spacing suddenly added space above the line, not just
>> below.
>
> I'll take your word for it.  It sounds like I was wrong and there should
> be a variable that you could set buffer locally to nil.

I'm not sure that would be sufficient: the user might want vertical centering
for some instances of 'line-spacing and not others.

> Out of curiosity, could you briefly explain how this would break your
> use of this text property?

I use it in combination with other properties to achieve specific spacing
around certain elements or lines; it would change the way the result looks.
Right now we have a property that adds space above a line and one that adds
space below, and with the change enabled it becomes impossible to add space
just below the line, right?

https://github.com/FStarLang/fstar-mode.el
Another package that's not mine: https://github.com/aaronbieber/sunshine.el