Re: master 5183123: Add Tramp recompilation

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master 5183123: Add Tramp recompilation
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 22:17:05 +0200

Hi Stefan,

>> This command is triggered by error report(s) on the Tramp ML. Scenario:
>> - Run an older Emacs version, say 27.2.
>> - Load tramp.el (this happens often, implicitly)
>> - Install Tramp 2.5.0.3 from GNU ELPA
>>
>> There is a compilation error, because the already loaded tramp-compat.el
>> does not fit the expectations of Tramp 2.5.0.3.
>
> I think we should treat this is a bug in package.el: we already have
> code to try and avoid such problems, so apparently it doesn't do its job
> in this case.

The point is that simply unloading Tramp didn't work. That's why I start
a new Emacs instance via "emacs -Q" for recompilation. Maybe we could
use this approach in package.el?

I'll happily remove tramp-recompile-elpa from Tramp once recompilation
is fixed in package.el. But since Tramp is backwards compatible (down to
Emacs 25.1 ATM), this will take years.

>>> [ Also, I don't see why we need `tramp-recompile-elpa`.
>>>   I do see a need for `M-x package-recompile`, OTOH.  ]
>> D'accord.
>
> Patches warmly welcome,

I'll have a look on it. No promise for a working patch, of course.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.