Re: What are invisible frames for?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: What are invisible frames for?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 14:13:14 +0000

Hello, Martin.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 14:15:03 +0200, martin rudalics wrote:
>  > So, to determine how these MBs should be handled, it would be very
>  > useful to understand what invisible frames are used for.

> I'm using a minibuffer child frame which is invisible most of the time.
> It becomes visible and reparented to the selected frame whenever I want
> to talk to it.  Also, I have `tooltip-reuse-hidden-frame' non-nil which
> means that my tooltip frame is invisible whenever it's not used.

OK.  Presumably you set this up by setting the 'visibility frame
parameter.  I don't think setting that frame parameter causes
Fmake_frame_invisible to get called.  At least, I can't find the call
anywhere.

I don't think I was clear enough in my OP, but it's calls to
Fmake_frame_invisible which are bothering me.  That function moves any
minibuffer on the frame to some other frame.  I don't think it should.
That's what I'm trying to sort out.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).